Sun and Open Air
Products aimed at capturing
the most sun!
L’Erbolario offers effective products dedicated to different types of skin, or to different moments of exposure. Products that:
contain highly effective natural moisturising, nourishing and softening substances;
are absolutely appealing and comfortable to apply;
guarantee maximum protection;
reduce the harmful effects of the sun’s rays that cause premature skin ageing.
Tips for the perfect tan
The sun is one of our best friends for our beauty, health and figure. Its energy is exhilarating and stimulating. However, you need to know how to enjoy it intelligently, to avoid the little inconveniences that we are all familiar with, as well as major disasters such as premature ageing of the skin, with one of the major causes being imprudent exposure to the sun without suitable protection.
The worry caused over recent years by the holes in the earth’s ozone layer should have been enough to convince everyone to behave more carefully and assess their own photo-type, the season, the latitude of their location and the opportunity of using appropriate protection.
We would like to go over the rules
for an ideal “conduct in the sun”
1. Decide to categorically avoid sunburn at all costs.
2. Do not spend too much time in the sun during the first two or three days, and then gradually increase the amount of time: this progression will allow you to achieve the perfect suntan quickly and without running any unnecessary risks.
3. Choose appropriate protection based on your photo-type (skin – hair – eyes), the climate, the season and the latitude. When in doubt, opt for a higher SPF.
Check the UV index for the day by consulting the weather forecast in daily newspapers: the higher the index, the more important protection becomes.
4. Do not use alcohol-based perfume or eau de toilette before exposure to the sun and, if you are taking any medicines (sulphamides, antibiotics, tranquillisers), consult your doctor, to avoid the risk of increased skin sensitivity or allergic reactions.
5. Remember that it is never a good idea to spend too much time lying in the sun and do not underestimate the risks of reflected light. Accordingly, use a good sun product even if you are sitting under a sun umbrella or if the sky is slightly overcast.
6. Between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., the sun’s rays are more likely to irritate the skin than to tan it, so avoid sitting in the sun during this time.
7. Reapply your sun product around once an hour and always after a swim, shower, water-skiing, etc.
8. Remember that sun products are not applied like other beauty products: particularly during the first few days, it is better if they form a generous film on your skin. Experts suggest applying 35 g of product each time, which is around six teaspoons of cream. They also remind us that it is not helpful, and possibly damaging, to rub your sun cream in too much
9. Do not forget that, just like you skin, your hair also needs to be suitably protected.
10. Immediately after a swim and always at the end of the day, take a shower in fresh water to remove all traces of salt and chlorine from your hair and skin.
11. All these precautions are especially important for children, who benefit greatly from the sun, but require particular care at the same time. Always remember to wear a hat and sunglasses when you are in the sun. Young children, according to dermatologists, should actually be protected with a cotton t-shirt and always wear a high SPF product on any exposed areas. Very young children, especially newborns, must never be directly exposed to the sun.
The sun protection factor
The L’Erbolario sun care products have been formulated by our Research and Development Laboratory to successfully dose UVA and UVB filters and block out harmful rays. These products therefore allow you to develop a good tan, while providing excellent protection.
We believe it is our duty to clarify the method used to define the SPF (Sun Protection Factor).
Faithful as always to the strictest parameters of reliability and professionalism in its relationship with its customers, L’Erbolario promptly adopted the recommendations set forth by the European Commission regulating sun protection indicators. According to these recommendations, solely and exclusively products capable of providing protection against UVB and UVA rays above 6 are considered to be sun care products, therefore L’Erbolario amended the formulas of all its sun products that had an SPF below 6. The International Sun Protection Factor Method is the only method recognised by the European Commission as the one to determine protection indexes, and has invited all manufacturers to comply with a clear and schematic classification.
On the basis of this classification, all sun care products must now be divided into 4 different categories, each categorised by a higher or lower protection capacity, according to the following table:
Very high protection
All L’Erbolario sun care products (with the exception of the Super Tanning Ointment and Aquasole, which do not contain filters and are therefore considered simple skin moisturising and nourishing products to be used during exposure to the sun) display a number from this classification between 6 and 50+, indicating the product’s ability to block or extinguish, to use the highly effective term used by experts, UVB and UVA rays. Lastly, the UVA symbol on the packages and bottles of all our sun care products indicates that the products comply with the requirements set forth by the European Commission, in other words, they guarantee a UVA screening action of 1/3 of the total sun protection factor. For example, a sun protection factor of 30 will guarantee a UVA screening action equal to or greater than 10).